The Birth of Jesus and Christmas
Believers Life Style Bible Study
December 11, 2021
The Birth of Jesus and Christmas
Luke 1:26-38, 2:1-7, 2:8-20
Presented by Michael Webb
- Why do you and your family celebrate Christmas?
- What gift did you purchase for Jesus on Christmas?
The Birth of Jesus Foretold
- Who greeted Mary? Why? (1:26-28)
- How did Mary learn of her role in Jesus’ birth? (1:26-28)
- How did Mary feel when the angel appeared to her? (1:29-30)
- *How did Gabriel describe the child that would be born to Mary? (1:31-33)
- What title would Jesus have? (1:32)
- What Old Testament personalities were part of Jesus’ royal line? (1:32-33)
- Why wasn’t Mary struck dumb by the angel as Zechariah was? (1:34)
- *How did Mary’s response to the angel differ from Zechariah’s? (1:34, 38)
- Why did Gabriel mention Elizabeth’s pregnancy to Mary? (1:36-37)
- What kind of attitude was apparent in Mary’s response to the angel’s visit? (1:38)
- *What did Mary’s final statement to Gabriel show about her relationship with God? (1:38)
The Birth of Jesus
- Who decreed that a census be taken of the entire Roman world? (2:1)
- What historical facts did Luke provide that allow us to approximate the date of Christ’s birth? (2:1-2)
- What did the Roman census require of everyone? (2:3)
- *What was the purpose of Joseph and Mary’s trip to Bethlehem? (2:1-4)
- What reason did Luke give for Joseph having to travel to Bethlehem for the census? (2:4)
- What did Luke say about Bethlehem which indicates it was a famous place? (2:4)
- What was Joseph and Mary’s marital status at the time of Jesus’ birth? (2:5)
- *Why was travel especially difficult for Mary? (2:5)
- What details about the birth of Jesus do we know or can we infer from Luke’s description? (2:5-7)
- *What were the conditions in Bethlehem the night Jesus was born? (2:7)
The Shepherds and the Angels
- At what time and place did the angels appear to the shepherds? (2:8)
- How many angels did the shepherds see at first? (2:9)
- How did the shepherds react when they saw the angel? (2:9)
- To whom did the angel address his good news? (2:10)
- *What message did the angel tell the shepherds? (2:10, 12)
- Who did the angel say the newborn child really was? (2:11)
- *By what symbol or sign were the shepherds supposed to identify the Christ child? (2:12)
- How many angels did the shepherds hear praising God? (2:13)
- *What was the immediate reaction of the shepherds after the angels left? (2:15)
- After finding the Christ child, what did the shepherds do? (2:17-20)
- What kind of reactions did the shepherds get when they told others what had happened that night? (2:18)
- How did Mary respond to the shepherds’ visit? (2:19)
- If you had been with the shepherds on the night Christ was born, what would you have done after the angels left?
- In what ways did the shepherds obey God that night?
- *What should be our response when we discover what God wants us to do?
- What does it mean that Mary “treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart”?
- Of what significance is it that the shepherds went back to their flocks?
- *What is the responsibility of those who “discover” the good news about Jesus?
- Who needs to be told about the birth and life of Christ?
- In what ways can you renew your enthusiasm for the message of Jesus’ birth?
- *How can you glorify and praise God with other Christians this week?