Believers Life Style Bible Study
September 2, 2017
The Dead Are Judged
Scripture: Revelation 20:11-15
Presented by Michael Webb
- What is your favorite book? Why?
- What is one time you remember getting in trouble as a child?
- What particular vision begins this portion of John’s revelation? (20:11)
- How will creation react to the “great white throne” judgment? (20:11)
- What will be the effect of God’s presence on “earth and sky” at the great white throne judgment? (20:11)
- Where will the final judgment of all people take place? (20:11-12)
- Who will be involved in the final judgment? (20:12)
- What records will be used to judge everyone? (20:12)
- How does God keep track of what people do in this life? (20:12)
- On what basis will people be judged at the end of time? (20:12-13)
- From what diverse places will the dead assemble for this judgment? (20:13)
- What will happen to death and Hades? (20:14)
- How did John describe the lake of fire? (20:14)
- What will hell be like? (20:14)
- What will happen to those whose names are not found in the Book of Life? (20:15)
- Who will be thrown into the lake of fire? (20:15)
- How does a person get his or her name recorded in the Book of Life?
- How is it significant that earth and sky fled from the presence of the one seated on the throne of judgment?
- What is the “lake of fire”?
- What does it mean that death and Hades “were thrown into the lake of fire”?
- What does it mean that “the lake of fire is the second death”?
- What is the only way we can escape the lake of fire?
- Who are the people whose names are not recorded in the Book of Life?
- What is the value in knowing that we will be judged for the way we live?
- Why should the certainty of future judgment affect the way we live?
- How should the certainty of future judgment affect the way we live?
- What can you do to remind yourself of the reality of a future judgment?
- What step do you need to take today to ensure that your name is written in the Book of Life?
- How can you help a friend or family member avoid a future in the lake of fire?
King James Version – Rev 20:11-15
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
“Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power” (2 Thes. 1:9).
“And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell” (James 3:6).
“The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished” (2 Peter 2:9).
“The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: and the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name” (Rev. 14:10-11).
“And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever….And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire” (Rev. 20:10, 15).
“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death” (Rev. 21:8).
“Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup” (Psalm 11:6).
“The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?” (Isaiah 33:14).
“And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh” (Isaiah 66:24).
“For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch” (Malachi 4:1).