The Believers Life Style Bible Study
The Unbelief of the Jews
November 1, 2014
Presented by Michael Webb
- What truths are hard for you to accept? Why?
- *How did your family typically handle conflict when you were growing up?
- *What question did the Jews ask Jesus? (10:22-24)
- How did Jesus answer the Jews’ question? (10:25-26)
- What did Jesus say His sheep did? (10:27)
- What did Jesus say He gave to His sheep? (10:28)
- What did Jesus say that no one could do to His sheep? (10:28-29)
- With whom did Jesus claim to be one? (10:30)
- *How did the Jews respond to Jesus’ claim? (10:31)
- Why did the Jews want to kill Jesus? (10:33) How?
- How did Jesus respond to the Jews’ accusation of blasphemy? (10:34-36)
- Under what circumstance did Jesus say that the Jews should believe in Him? (10:37)
- *Why did Jesus say that the Jews should believe in His miracles? (10:38)
- What did the Jews try to do to Jesus? (10:39)
- Where did Jesus go after He escaped from the Jews? (10:40)
- Why did the people across the Jordan believe in Jesus? (10:41-42)
- Why do people today fail to realize that Jesus is God?
- In what way are you Jesus’ sheep?
- What makes you feel secure in your relationship with your friends?
- *What makes you feel secure in your relationship with God?
- How secure is your relationship with God?
- *Why does Jesus’ claim to be God cause people to oppose Him?
- Who today would find Jesus’ claim to be God offensive?
- In what way is Jesus’ relationship with God significant for your relationship with God?
- Why should people believe in Jesus?
- How will you demonstrate your thankfulness to God today for your secure relationship with Him?
- *What steps will you take to follow your Shepherd closely this week?
The Shepherd Knows His Sheep
22 Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. 23 And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon’s porch. 24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, “How long do You keep us in [a]doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, [b]as I said to you. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”
Renewed Efforts to Stone Jesus
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?”
33 The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”
34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods” ’? 35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38 but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and [c]believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.” 39 Therefore they sought again to seize Him, but He escaped out of their hand.
The Believers Beyond Jordan
40 And He went away again beyond the Jordan to the place where John was baptizing at first, and there He stayed. 41 Then many came to Him and said, “John performed no sign, but all the things that John spoke about this Man were true.” 42 And many believed in Him there.