The Believers Life Style Bible Study
The World Hates the Disciples
February 7, 2015
Presented by Michael Webb
- What are some things that you hate or dislike?
- Why are some non-Christians antagonistic toward Christianity?
- What causes people to hate each other?
- What did Jesus want His disciples to keep in mind? (15:18)
- Whom does the world love? (15:19)
- Why does the world hate Jesus’ disciples? (15:19)
- What did Jesus want His disciples to remember? (15:20)
- What difference does it make that the world does not know God? (15:21)
- Why do the people of the world have no excuse for their sin? (15:22)
- What is the significance of hating Jesus? (15:23)
- What has made the world fully accountable for its sin? (15:24)
- What did the world’s hatred fulfill? (15:25)
- What would the Counselor do when He came? (15:26)
- Why did Jesus say that His disciples must testify about Him? (15:27)
- For what reason did Jesus tell the disciples these things? (16:1,4)
- What was going to happen to the disciples for following Christ? (16:2-3)
- What is “the world”?
- If you were one of Jesus’ twelve disciples, how would you have responded to His warning about the world’s hatred?
- How does the world today hate the followers of Jesus?
- When have you experienced the hatred of the world?
- How does the world today display its hatred for Jesus and God?
- How has God chosen you out of the world?
- How and when do you still feel a part of the world?
- Who is “the Counselor”?
- How does the Holy Spirit testify about Jesus to the world?
- How are you a testimony for Jesus?
- How can you be a testimony for Jesus today? To whom?
- How should you adjust your expectations of being accepted by non-Christians?
King James Version – John 15:18-16:4
A comfort in the hatred and persecution of the world
18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.
22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
The work of the Holy Spirit, and of the apostles
26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.
Christ comforts His disciples with the promise of the Holy Spirit, His resurrection and ascension
1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
4 But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.