A Dead Girl and Sick Woman
The Believers Life Style Bible Study
A Dead Girl and Sick Woman
October 17, 2020
Presented by Michael Webb
- What epitaph would you like on your tombstone?
- *What punishment should be meted out to those who prey on weak or defenseless individuals?
- What do you think about people who claim to have died and then come back to life?
- Who approached Jesus? (9:18)
- What did the man do? (9:18)
- With what startling situation and request did the man present Jesus? (9:18)
- How did Jesus react? (9:19)
- Who accompanied Jesus? (9:19)
- *While Jesus and the others made their way to the man’s house, who touched Jesus’ cloak? (9:20)
- From what kind of ailment did the woman suffer? (9:20)
- *What was the woman’s reasoning for touching Jesus’ cloak? (9:21)
- What happened as the woman made contact with Jesus? (9:22)
- What did Jesus do for the woman? (9:22)
- *Why was the woman healed? (9:22)
- Upon arriving at the ruler’s house, what did Jesus say to the crowd? (9:24)
- What was the crowd’s response to Jesus’ unexpected statement? (9:24)
- What did Christ do after He put the crowd outside? (9:25)
- What happened after Christ left? (9:26)
- What personal encouragement and comfort do you find in Christ’s ability to heal the sick and raise the dead?
- *How is your faith challenged by the people in this story?
- What are some ways we “laugh at Jesus” in our beliefs and behavior?
- How do you think a twelve-year illness would affect your faith in God?
- What does this passage teach you about Jesus’ sensitivity to the needs of a lonely, hurting individual?
- *What impossible situation are you facing?
- How can we follow Jesus’ example?
- *How can you trust God today to work in the impossible situation you are facing?
- What act of kindness can you show this week to someone who is ill or grieving?
Matthew 9:18-26 (NKJV)
18 While He spoke these things to them, behold, a ruler came and worshiped Him, saying, “My daughter has just died, but come and lay Your hand on her and she will live.”
19 So Jesus arose and followed him, and so did His disciples.
20 And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment.
21 For she said to herself, “If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well.”
22 But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, “Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And the woman was made well from that hour.
23 When Jesus came into the ruler’s house, and saw the flute players and the noisy crowd wailing,
24 He said to them, “Make room, for the girl is not dead, but sleeping.” And they ridiculed Him.
25 But when the crowd was put outside, He went in and took her by the hand, and the girl arose.
26 And the report of this went out into all that land.