God’s Love and Our Love
Life In Christ Bible Study
What’s Love Got to do with it
God’s Love and Our Love
Scripture: 1 John 4:7-21
December 3, 2022
Presented by Michael Webb
- Which do you think is a more powerful motivator—love, fear, or hate? Why?
- What popular figure alive today or from history used hate to motivate people?
- When have you been motivated by love?
- What were the readers of 1 John encouraged to do? (4:7)
- *What is the relationship between loving and knowing God? (4:7-8)
- How did God show His love? (4:9)
- Why did God send His Son? (4:9)
- What is love? (4:10)
- Why should Christians love one another? (4:11)
- What is the result of loving one another? (4:12)
- *How can believers know that they live in God and God lives in them? (4:13)
- What did John testify concerning? (4:14)
- What happens when we acknowledge that Jesus is the Son of God? (4:15)
- Why is love important? (4:16-17)
- How is love made complete? (4:17)
- What does perfect love do? Why? (4:18)
- *Why should we love? (4:19)
- What is the relationship between loving God and loving one’s brother? (4:20-21)
- *How can we demonstrate our love for God?
- What example has Jesus set for us to follow?
- How should God’s love motivate you to love others?
- How do you know that God lives in you?
- What does it mean to live in God?
- Why is it be easier to love God than other Christians?
- *When you have difficulty loving other believers, what is it that makes it difficult?
- *How can we demonstrate our love for others?
- What are you afraid of?
- How can we overcome our fears?
- How does love drive out fear?
- Who is someone that you have a difficult time getting along with that you need to ask God to help you love this week?
- What fear will you ask God to help you overcome?
- *What specific steps will you take this week to demonstrate your love for another believer?
1 John 4:7-21 (KJV)
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19 We love him, because he first loved us.
20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.