The Fig Tree Withers
Life In Christ Bible Study
The Fig Tree Withers
Scripture Matthew 21:18-22
September 3, 2022
Presented by Michael Webb
- What is the worst case of false advertising you’ve ever seen?
- Why do you think there are so many religious hypocrites?
- *When in your life were you the most disappointed?
- Where was Jesus going? When? (21:18)
- What was Jesus feeling? When? (21:18)
- *What caught Jesus’ attention? Why? (21:19)
- What did Jesus discover when he made a closer inspection of the fig tree? (21:19)
- What did Jesus do to the fig tree? (21:19)
- What happened immediately after Jesus cursed the fig tree? (21:19)
- How did the withered fig tree incident affect the disciples? (21:20)
- *What did the disciples ask Jesus? (21:20)
- What did Jesus cite as the necessary ingredient to doing “impossible” things? (21:21)
- What even more amazing feat than causing a fig tree to wither did Jesus claim was possible? (21:21)
- *What attitude did Jesus encourage us to have in prayer? (21:22)
- How is religious legalism like a barren fig tree?
- What types of “fruit” should appear in our lives as we grow as Christians?
- What fruit has your life borne in the last couple of months?
- What are some ways Christians can look good to others from a distance and yet still be fruitless?
- *Why is the invitation to pray at the end of this passage not a blank check to ask for anything?
- *What requirements must our prayers meet?
- In what ways might you be giving others a false idea of what the Christian life is all about?
- What is one specific request that you want to commit yourself to pray for regularly this week?
- *What can you do today to let go of a grudge or feeling of offense?
Scripture for the Lesson:
Matthew 21:18-22 (KJV)
18 Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
19 And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
20 And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.