A Tree and Its Fruit
The Believers Life Style Bible Study
A Tree and Its Fruit
November 21, 2020
Presented by Michael Webb
- *What do you know about vegetable gardening?
- What kind of inner alarm (if any) alerts you to the fact that a person is a phony?
- What is your favorite fruit?
- Against whom did Jesus warn us? Why? (7:15)
- What do false prophets look like on the outside? (7:15)
- What are false prophets like inwardly? (7:15)
- How did Christ say we could recognize false prophets? (7:16, 20)
- *What does nature reveal about a tree and its fruit? (7:16)
- What kind of fruit do good trees bear? Why? (7:17-18)
- What type of produce grows on bad trees? Why? (7:17-18)
- *What happens to trees that fail to produce good fruit? (7:18)
- *Who will enter the kingdom of heaven? (7:21)
- How will some people try to talk their way into heaven? (7:22)
- What credentials or accomplishments will some people claim? (7:22)
- How will Jesus respond to these impostors? (7:23)
- What is necessary for entry into heaven? (7:23)
- Why do we continue to sin if we have Christ in our heart and the Holy Spirit in our lives?
- *What does this passage tell us about the importance of doing good works?
- How do good works and salvation fit together?
- *How can people be “religious” yet not follow Christ?
- What kind of good works have you been producing lately?
- What evidence in your life points to your relationship with Jesus?
- What spiritual disciplines can you use to cultivate your soul this week?
- *In what area of your life can you place more emphasis on doing good works each day this week?
Matthew 7:15-23 (NKJV)
15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.
16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thorn bushes or figs from thistles?
17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’