Life Through The Spirit
Believers Life Style Bible Study
May 6, 2023
Life through the Spirit
Presented by Michael Webb
- *If you were released from a three-year captivity as a hostage, what would you do during your first week of freedom?
- What impact can a good father or a bad father have on a person’s life?
- What is the status of a person who trusts in Jesus Christ? (8:1)
- *How is a person set free from the law of sin and death? (8:2)
- What did God do that the Law was powerless to do? (8:3-5)
- What is the difference between those who live according to their sinful nature and those who live according to the Spirit? (8:5-8)
- *How can a person know if he or she is controlled by the sinful nature or by the Spirit? (8:9)
- What promise is given to people living in the Spirit? (8:11)
- What kind of obligation do Christians have? (8:12-14)
- What happens to the person who lives according to the sinful nature? (8:13)
- *By what means can a person find life? (8:13)
- What is true of people who are led by God’s Spirit? (8:14)
- What kind of spirit do God’s children have? (8:15)
- What are the benefits of being a child of God? (8:15-17)
- What feelings of condemnation and rejection may Christians feel?
- *In what ways does knowing Christ set us free?
- How does living for Christ change the desires of our heart?
- What have you seen the Spirit of God do in a person’s life?
- *What does unchecked sin and selfishness produce in a person’s life?
- How does seeing and experiencing God as a loving Father change your understanding of what it means to live as a Christian?
- What benefits does God give to His children?
- What area of your life do you need to turn over to God’s mighty power? How will you?
- *What changes have you been resisting in your life that you are now willing to allow your loving heavenly Father to complete?
Romans 8:1-17 (NKJV)
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors–not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
17 and if children, then heirs–heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.