Pray Like This
Life In Christ Bible Study
Pray Like This
April 1, 2023
Presented by Michael Webb
- What images or thoughts spring to mind when you hear the word “prayer”?
- *What role did prayer play in your family’s life when you were growing up?
- According to Jesus, what wrong motivation prompts some individuals to pray? (6:5)
- *What name did Jesus call people who pray for show? Why? (6:5)
- Where do hypocrites prefer to do their praying? (6:5)
- What type of reward will religious showmanship bring? (6:5)
- *How did Jesus command His followers to pray? (6:6)
- Where did Jesus suggest we talk to God? (6:6)
- *What type of reward will humility in prayer bring? (6:6)
- What did Jesus have to say about repetitive or long, windy prayers? (6:7)
- What insights or facts about God are revealed in this passage? (6:6, 8, 9)
- To whom did Jesus tell us to pray? (6:9)
- What should be our attitude toward God? (6:9)
- What should be our attitude toward God’s kingdom and will? (6:10)
- What should be our attitude toward life’s necessities? (6:11)
- What should be our attitude toward those who have wronged us? (6:12)
- What should be our attitude toward temptation? (6:13)
- Why is it crucial for us to forgive those who wrong us? (6:14-15)
- What common or overused phrases do you hear frequently repeated in people’s prayers?
- If God knows what we need before we ask, why should we pray?
- *If Jesus commands us to pray in secret, what is the value of public prayer?
- Why do many Christians feel uncomfortable praying out loud?
- *When you pray in front of a group, how can you concentrate fully on what you are saying to God rather than how your prayers sound to others?
- Why do we often use special language or words for talking to God?
- What sins or offenses by others do we find especially difficult to forgive?
- *What changes do you need to make in your prayer life?
- What strained relationship will you seek to repair this week by forgiving an offense?
Matthew 6:1-4 (KJV)
Mt 1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:5-6 (KJV)
Mt 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:7-8 (KJV)
Mt 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
Matthew 6:9-13 (KJV)
Mt 9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Matthew 6:14-15 (KJV)
Mt 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.