The Believers Life Style Bible Study
A Prophet Without Honor
July 8, 2017
Scripture: Matthew 13:53-58
Presented by Michael Webb
- What do you like best and least about your hometown?
- What would your family say you were like as a little kid?
- How would your high school or college friends react if they heard you were in a serious Bible study?
- What former classmate has surprised you since you graduated from high school? Why?
- What did Jesus do when He finished telling His parables? (13:53)
- Where did Jesus go? (13:54)
- What did Jesus do in His hometown? (13:54)
- Where exactly did Jesus preach? (13:54)
- What was the public response to Jesus’ message? (13:54)
- What kinds of questions were the folks in Nazareth asking? (13:55)
- What family ties did the townspeople of Nazareth recognize Jesus as having? (13:55)
- How did the people feel about “one of their own” saying wise things and doing amazing miracles? (13:57)
- How did Jesus explain their reaction to Him? (13:57)
- What did Jesus not do in Nazareth—at least in any great amount? Why? (13:58)
- What caused Jesus to refrain from doing miracles in Nazareth? (13:58)
- How would you react if a guy from your neighborhood started doing miracles and claiming to be God?
- What are some ways we limit the work of Christ by our unbelief?
- Why are we more often impressed by people we don’t know than by people we do know?
- Why do we have a tendency to downplay the accomplishments of people we are close to?
- How did your family react when you placed your trust in Christ?
- In what ways do you struggle to live down your past?
- What are three things you need to trust Christ for in the coming week?
- How can you strengthen your faith in Jesus during this time so that He can work in and through you?
- What family members or old friends will you commit to visit or call in the next month to tell them about the change Christ is making in you?
Christ is condemned by His own countrymen
53 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence.
54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?
55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.