The Believers Life Style Bible Study
The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats
August 10, 2017
Scripture: Matthew 25:31-46
Presented by Michael Webb
- What are some ways we label or categorize others?
- Why is the belief in heaven and hell waning, while the belief in reincarnation becomes more popular?
- *What are some common examples of separating clean from dirty, fresh from spoiled, or good from bad?
- How did Jesus describe His Second Coming? (25:31)
- Where will all the nations be at Christ’s return? (25:32)
- According to Jesus, how will the people of the earth be divided? (25:32-33)
- How will Jesus divide humanity? (25:33)
- *What will Jesus say to those on His right? (25:34-36)
- Why will the group on Jesus’ right be blessed? (25:35)
- *How will the “sheep” respond to Jesus’ words on that day? (25:37-39)
- *What criterion will Christ use to judge people? (25:40)
- What will Jesus say to the “goats” on His left? (25:41)
- Why will the goats be judged? (25:42)
- What will cause the goats to be judged? (25:42-43)
- What defense will those on Christ’s left use to justify themselves? (25:44)
- What will hell be like? (25:46)
- *How do people usually determine whether they will be nice to somebody?
- *How would your behavior change if you treated each person in your life as if he or she were Jesus?
- In what way does this parable motivate you to tell your friends about Christ?
- How would you counter the idea that this passage teaches salvation by good works?
- What change does true faith make in a person’s life?
- In what specific ways has your faith in Christ changed you?
- Who are the needy people around you?
- What resources do you have available to you for serving the needs of others?
- *What act of kindness or mercy toward the needy can you do today?
- In what practical, realistic way can you begin today to treat each person you meet as though he or she were Jesus Himself?
- Without being overbearing or pushy, how can you serve your non-Christian friends this week?
King James Version – Matt 25:31-46
The description of the last judgment
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.